Monday, November 17, 2008

Yes, I Has A Blog

Conor McNicholas came in to see us today.

As part of my 'Professional Perspectives' Unit at university, our lecturer brings in a guest speaker every week to talk about their experiences. This week is was the Editor of NME.

Kind of cool you may think, but he spent most of the time scaring the living hell out of us. Instead of talking about various anecdotes of him smoking weed with some band in some hotel, he presented us with the grim reality that the current economic crises is going to make it hard for us to find jobs.

The main theme of his talk was concerned with Specialization, as he is obviously a Music Journalist. Luckily he was more general in his words of wisdom, which was quite useful. The basic message of his whole speal was that we had to get our shit together, or we're screwed. And that Specializing will be very useful.

One of his anecdote with regards to employability was - "Often I get people come to me and say they're very passionate about writing, and they're very passionate about music. I always ask them whether they have a blog or not - 9/10 they say no. Obviously they're not that passionate are they?"

This made me realise that, once again, I need to keep this blog going. I'll beef it out with my freelance work if I can, but I'll try to keep it as original as possible.

Yes, I Has a Blog.

P.S. To anyone who saw/read the post I made about a month ago regarding my first day at Imagine, I had to take it down due to the fact that it had Issue spoilers in it. Sorry.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home