Tuesday, April 15, 2008

New v Old

You can tell I'm going through a phase or something can't you?

Ever since deciding I should try and take steps towards becoming a video game journalist (Yes, it's an actual profession), everything's been games games games...well, at least more than usual...

/me puts down the Xbox controller.

I bought a new game the other day, so rest assured a review will appear at some point, but today I'm going to talk to you about something else: New Games Journalism. (You may need to scroll down a bit.)

I came across this concept whilst doing research for my dissertation proposal, which I'm also doing on video games journalism. Put simply, it's another way of writing game reviews as thought up by Kieron Gillen - an apparently well known English games journalist. (It's good to be British.)

In his 'manifesto', Gillen talks about how there is this massive problem in games journalism, and things need changing. Using this article, he lays down the framework for a new style of games journalism.

Now, is it just me, or is it actually quite interesting?

Ignoring the fact that it tells the reader almost nothing about the actual game, it's still an interesting look at how one experiences playing online, especially when games are moving more and more towards 'online' gaming.

It's also a classic example of how racist the online community can be, but what can you do.

Still, an interesting style. It may not replace reviews, but it may be a good addition to them.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home