Sunday, January 25, 2009

Resume: Games Journalism

Hello,

My name is Joe Robinson and I'm looking for paid freelance work to add to my portfolio. My ultimate aim is break into the videogames journalism industry and nab a full-time position somewhere amongst the leading names in this profession.

For now though, I'm content with working at home on a part-time basis. I am capable of performing a variety of roles including news, reviews and features. I am currently based in Bournemouth, UK.

Platforms owned

* Xbox 360
* Nintendo Wii
* Gaming orientated PC (custom built) + Laptop (Specs available on request)

Experience

Since the beginning of summer, I have been freelancing for a number of different websites, and have already built up an extensive portfolio. However, I'm always looking for more work as i need as much experience as possible.

Games TM

For two weeks at the beginning of October, I did a work placement at one of the UK's leading multi-format magazines - Games TM. During my time, I helped out with a variety of tasks, and got several items published in Issues 76 and 77 of the magazine. These included a two-page 'Discuss' feature on Digital Rights Management, and a one-page review of Trackmania (DS). Due to Games TM's credit policy, my name is not directly attributed on the articles, but Rick Porter (the editor of Games Tm) can confirm my involvement.

(Note: Due to a printing error, my name is not actually in the contributors section for Issue 76, but it is there in Issue 77. Again, the Editor can confirm all of this.)

strategyinformer.com

This is the main website that I freelance for, and they currently pay me on per-article basis plus extras if the situation calls for it. I won't disclose the amount publicly, but if you wish to hire me you will have to at least match this rate. Here is a selection of articles that I have written for them:

Review: Enemy Territory: Quake Wars (360)

Review: Dreamlords - The Reawakening (PC)

Preview: Lego Batman (360)

Interview: Pete Hines & Fallout 3

Preview: Fallout 3 (Multi)

Review: Unreal Tournament III (360)

Interview: Denis Dyack & Too Human

Review: Too Human (360)

Review: Fable II (360)

Review: Mount & Blade (PC)

News sample

xbox360achievements.org

x360a.org was the other main website I worked for, however it is on a voluntary basis. I mainly helped them with their daily news coverage, whilst also doing the odd review for them. I have since left, but here is a sample of the work I did for them:

Review: Sid Meier's Civilization: Revolution (360)

News sample 1

News sample 2

News sample 3

Other Past Work

I used to write for a number of smaller websites to gain practice and experience. I no longer work for these websites now, as my situation has forced me to concentrate on my paid work, but here are some samples:

Review: Sins of a Solar Empire (PC)

Preview: Dungeon Hero (Multi)

News sample

Feature: The Joys of Having a Girlfriend Gamer: Love and War

News sample

E3 2008

During this year's E3 Media and Business Conference, I helped various websites with their E3 coverage by watching/reading the live feeds that were available.

Some examples include:

Gameslave: Nintendo Press Conference Round-Up

Strategy Informer: Yoichi Wada announces FF XIII for 360

Strategy Informer: Xbox Live Update Announcement

Leipzig GDC 2008

This year I also attended the Leipzig Games Convention on behalf of Strategy Informer and x360a. I was there for a total of seven days, and I was present for the whole convention from Wednesday (which was the press only day) through to Sunday and gave coverage through out. Some of the work that came out of Leipzig included:

Feature: Leipzig GC '08 - First Impressions

Interview: EVE Online

Preview: Empire - Total War

Report: Age of Conan

Preview: Call of Duty - World at War

Preview: Hearts of Iron III

Preview: Alpha Protocol

Preview: Aion - Tower of Eternity

Preview: Rise of the Argonauts

Extra Information

In September of this year (2008), I shall be entering the third and final year of my Journalism Degree. By Summer of 2009, I shall have a BA(Hons) in Multi-Media Journalism. I should also be fully NCTJ qualified.

Other skills include:

* Editorial Experience & Website design/management - I am Online Editor for my university's student news website,
The Wire
* Experience with Photoshop, Dreamweaver & InDesign (Examples available on request)
* NCTJ approved 80 wpm shorthand
* Experience with several multi-media devices including video cameras and voice recorders. (Sample Podcast available on request)
* Knowledge of Media Law & a variety of media theories

I also have a full valid UK's Drivers license, as well as a discount rail card and I am willing to travel. I consider myself to be friendly, and capable of working together with other people in a team.

All of this information can be provided in a formal CV, which is available on request.

Contact Details

Email: joe-robinson@tiscali.co.uk
Mobile: 07879640305
PM: Feel free to PM me on this forum, as I check regularly

If you need any more information, do not hesitate to ask. I look forward to hearing from you.

Joe Robinson
Freelance Journalist

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home