Monday, February 12, 2007

The Febuary Holiday


Family traditions, I feel, are one of the finer things in life. Having an activity, or a place, that you always go to each year… gives a sense of stability to ones life.
Over the weekend, I went on such an activity. Every year, me and my family spend a week in a holiday cottage somewhere with several of my mums oldest and greatest friends. It was them, who actually started the annual holiday, and they've been doing it for 21 years now, and I’ve been doing it all my life. They actually worked out that they had spent a total of 6 months of their lives with the same people, and agreed that it had suitably scarred them for life.
The cast of this motley crew of middle-class misfits is a combination that can do nothing other then produce hilarious results. We have Greg, the quietly eccentric Mancunian. Chris and Dave, a witty middle-class gay couple, Claire, the mad Irish women, Phil, a very down to earth Jordie man, Andrew, whose very quiet, very-upper class, and who comes, says hello, and then leaves again. There’s also Alison, who’s a middle class nurse, probably not the funniest of the lot, but adds that essential element of blondness. Then of course there’s me and my family, who are, it can be said, local legends. (Despite the fact that it is a different location each year.)
This year, we went to Leek, in Staffordshire, to a Cottage just remote enough to be in the middle of nowhere, yet close enough to a town so that we wouldn't get bored shitless. Sadly, the nearest pub was two miles away. Me and my family could only stay the weekend mind, since the weeks were dodgy this year, but i still had fun. Before we even got to the cottage, the Car had gotten stuck at the bottom of steep road it couldn't climb because of all the snow. So we had to leave it there and walk the remaining 5 minutes. I tell you, i could of gone home right then and still have had a good time.
Next year will probably be just as fun…more so, in that hopefully ill be there all week this time, but until then, th ththththtthh thats all folks.

Oh, and I know what your thinking, and we are way cooler then Big Brother.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home