Friday, February 23, 2007

University: First contact



By Joe Robinson

Expect anything. This would be the first piece of advice I would give to any prospective Uni student; expect anything. Other tips would be; stay calm, open up, make friends, get to know your flat mates, your local area…and spend the first couple of weeks drunk, it helps pass the time.

No matter what people say, nothing can quite prepare you for university life, no matter how many you talks you have, how much advice you get, workshops, even visits can’t quite prepare you for the real thing, it’s one of those things you just need to go out and do. So expect anything, because for the first time in your life, you are on you are truly on your own, independent, by ya onesies, alone, and do you know what? It can be scary. I was scared, but I did the only thing you can do; bite the bullet and made some new friends. Because the worst possible thing you can do is end up being a recluse, it doesn’t help you or anyone else, and trust me, it’s the worst feeling in the world.

I would be lying to you if I said my time here has been perfect, because it hasn’t. As the saying goes, “shit happens”, and it happened to me. My first accommodation was Halls of Residence, and these particular halls were unique, as they were basically flats consisting of 18 people. Now, do you really expect to throw 18 random people together and hope that they all get along? It doesn’t work. By the time I got to Christmas, I had moved out. Now I’m living with 3 guys, and I’m having the time of my life, all is well. But don’t let my little episode put you off, as I said, expect anything. Despite my troubles in the first term, I still had fun, because there is more to Uni then your flat mates; there’s you’re course-mates, your course itself, other friends that you make during your time. Here’s another tip for you: when you have chosen which universities you want to go to, see if they have a forum somewhere, where new students can meet each other and talk. I met some of my greatest friends here on the SUBU forums. Try it.

Another key issue is money; money makes the world go round, it makes YOUR world go round when you’re a student. So start saving. Now. I mean it. The more you go into Uni with, the easier it will be on you. A job is also helpful, but don’t go nuts. I had to quit my job because I didn’t have any time to myself, but I could quit, because I had been smart with my money. Don’t wait until you get to Uni to find a job though, because that’s just stupid. If you have a job with a retail chain, see if there’s a local unit, and get a transfer. It’s what I did. You’ll probably get told to budget, my response to that is, if you can be bothered, do it, if you can’t (like me) just be sensible. Keep an eye on your money reserves; try not to buy unnecessary things. If you must have the latest Muse album, try and find it cheap.

What else? Eating is essential, I recommend you eat at least once a day, otherwise you might die. Knowing how to cook one or two meals also helps, as you can take turns with your housemates and cook for each other, although not everyone is into that, so don’t be put off if you’re cooking for yourself most of the time. Whilst at Uni, you may get struck by random bouts of Nostalgia. As I type this out to you, I’m looking at an Optimus Prime Transformer figure I bought. Don’t worry, it happens. Don’t be put off if your room is small/grimy/depressing. If it’s liveable, you’re ok. A car is not always essential. It depends on your circumstances. I happened to take my car, but now that I’ve quit my job, I don’t use it as much as I used to. Waste of Money? Maybe, but I can afford it, so I’d rather have it around.

Some final thoughts for you: If you thought you were smart before, prepare for a shock. Remember your now entering a selective environment. The people around you are there because they are just as smart, or smarter, then you are. Don’t be put off. Do your best. Remember, they wanted you there. Missing the occasional lecture will happen, but don’t make a habit out of it. Strangely enough, you WON’T get a degree by not going to lectures. Last but not least, enjoy yourself. Don’t do anything you don’t want to do, don’t hang around with people your uncomfortable with, and don’t bite off more then you can chew. Remember, you’re there for you, no-one else. (Although for god’s sake, PLEASE work hard at your degree, you're there for that too.)

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home