Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Hallows and Horcruxes

Yesterday I bought, read, and finished the final Harry Potter book. I'll admit, it felt like the end of an era. (By the way, i am going to proceed to talk about the book now, if you haven't read it, avert your eyes. Although, to be honest, if you haven't bought it yet, you probably don't care that much anyway)

I never was one of those people who got uncontrollably excited about this book. I didn't camp outside Waterstones in the rain for days prior to the release. I didn't wet myself after reading the first few lines, and i didn't cry a river when people died right at the beginning. Very grim book this one. (Although I nearly, nearly got a bit teary towards the end)

I liked it. I felt it was a very good ending to the series. Part of me wishes certain aspects of it had been developed a bit sooner, like some subtle hints as to what really was going on in slipped into the Half-Blood Prince or whatever, but never mind. It was just almost a bit too...sudden, if you get me. I also didn't like the fact that Harry kept using his link between himself and Voldemort (Which was supposed to be closed down). It just was a little too much like cheating. The reasons for Snape's actions also fit into this critique, because even thought the reasons themselves were quite good i thought, and portrayed quite well in the end, I still wish they're had been some hint in earlier books, but there you go.

The Deathly Hallows themselves were a very interesting concept to introduce. Everyone assumed Harry had to die (which he did) because he was a Horcrux (which he was), the Hollows was the hidden catch to that theory, and once you find out what they are, it becomes clear, and is quite nicely done.

Big fight scene at the end which was quite good., even if it did start to feel like some cheesy high-school reunion moment. I'm glad it ended in Hogwards to be honest. The series started there, it is fitting it should end there too. Death toll is a bit grim mind, you can't help but wonder whether it was necessary for certain people to die, but never mind. I really was like "Oh my god! Not Hedwig!" though...

Yes, a good end to an all round good series. Lets see how the rest of the films match up, shall we?

Labels: , , , ,

3 Comments:

At 4:26 pm , Blogger Greg Lewis said...

Who is this Harry Potter?

 
At 10:33 pm , Blogger JustCommunication said...

A famous person who once defeated adult Hitler by throwing Jewish Bibles at him for hours.....or he could be a fictional character in a popular young-adult book series. Im not quite sure.

 
At 11:01 pm , Anonymous Anonymous said...

nice critique

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home